Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Flashback

Last night we went to Maggie's school for Dr. Seuss' birthday celebration. The kids were suppose to rotate rooms every 20 minutes to different activities such as games and listening to some one read a book. Our second station was in a 3rd grade classroom and the teacher was up in front next to her projector. We were to use a list of letters and see how many 2, 3, 4 and 5 letter words we could come up with. Once we all had time to think, she then called on different kids to hear what words they had put on their paper. As I sat there by the little desk, looking up at the teacher as she called on the students, it took me back to when I was in school and all the feelings that come with it.

Kindergarten - I remember loving my teacher and being at school. I don't remember too many details, but I do remember the bathrooms and once being stuck without any toilet paper. I sat there waiting for someone to come in and "spare a square" for me.

1st Grade - My teachers name was Mrs. Fox and I loved her. My best friend was in my class and this is when my first crush began. This crush would last through Elementary school and into part of Jr. High. I also remember that me and another little girl had the same birthday and both our moms brought cupcakes for the class. I was very sad to leave 1st Grade.

2nd Grade - I think my teachers name was Mrs. Inman. That year we had an incubator with eggs and got to watch as our baby chicks hatched. I think we also had a guinea pig as a pet which was in our class picture, along with the chicks. I also remember getting to be the witch in Hansel and Gretal for our class play and feeling pretty cool as I was way better then the other girl who was also the witch.

3rd Grade - I don't remember too much about this time except that I passed off all my multiplications and got a special certificate.

4th Grade - This is also a blur, but I do remember having two teachers that team taught and I loved one and hated the other.

5th Grade - This year I remember because I got the teacher everyone wanted. He was really big and loud and fun. During the year we would build up points on homework and good behavior and then use those points at an auction later in the year. There was always a ton of food to bid on and I remember winning a bag of chips that I took on our family vacation the next day.

6th Grade - My teachers name was Mrs. Louie and I loved her. She was hard though and pushed us, but I really liked being in her class. I remember doing these maps where we had to fill in the country and the capitol and then color the map. They were so time consuming and I hated them. I was also on a jump rope team all during elementary school and she was one of the coach's, so I did get some special treatment in the class, which I didn't mind :)

Then came Jr. High which pretty much turned my world upside down. I think the excitement of school wore off long before this time, but this definitely changed the way I looked at school and everything that came with it.

I don't know why I felt like writing this post and I will get a "that was random" comment from Jake, but it was fun to think back and realize all that I do remember. I've come far since then and wonder how I got through it all, but I'm grateful for the experiences that hopefully made me stronger and will help me direct Maggie and Joshua through the craziness of life.

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

"That was random". =P I had to. And I see bunk beds in the background! How fun!! Can't wait to see how cute the third kiddo looks! And I can't stand it--Joshua's blonde, curly hair. Aaaah, too cute!

Beth said...

look at your big belly!! you are adorable!

Angie said...

I loved your post! It made me think back at what I can remember of childhood days. You are a cute mom! I miss seeing your face!

Marcel said...

What a cute little belly! You look just as young and pretty as ever! You have a beautiful family. I've been meaning to leave a comment and tell you congratulations on the pregnancy for a while now. It's hard to stay in touch but it's so fun to check out your blog and see what you guys are up to!

Hales Family said...

Hi Melissa, I found you through the BHS blog and just had to say 'hi'. Although you probably don't remember me. My last name used to be Grainger, if that helps at all ;)

I didn't realize we were in so many classes together through elementary school! Anyway, your family is adorable! Best of luck to you when your newest addition arrives!