Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine Weekend

As many of you know, Valentine's Day changes drastically after having children. We usually go out another day other then the official holiday and spend Valentine's at home with the kids. This year we made a weekend of it since Maggie didn't have school on Friday. First, Maggie and Joshua were invited to a Valentine tea party by one of Maggie's friends from school. They had been looking forward to it for weeks. The girls all got to dress up and they made place-mats, had lunch and decorated cookies.


Maggie with her friends Kate and Brooke. At school they celebrated the 100th day of school so one of the moms came in and painted their faces.

Kailey, Maggie, Charlie-Sue, Kate and Brooke


Joshua and a few other little boys got a pirate goodie bag and he wanted to wear the eye patch and sword for the rest of the time.


On Friday Jake took part of the day off of work and we went to a yummy New York style pizza place called LaRocco's Pizzeria, then we took the kids to the Science Center and explored the world of science. There was a cool earthquake section that the kids liked and then a kid's area which we ended with.

They had a few dress up clothes and Joshua wanted to be a pilot and Maggie wanted to be an astronaut.




There was an area where the kids could pretend they were on a TV show. Here is Joshua the cop and Maggie the camera women.










Saturday was filled with grocery shopping for dinner, cleaning and eating. Jake requested Spaghetti Carbonara with asparagus and spinach garlic bread. Now this bread is the best recipe I've ever put in my collection and it's so good with any kind of pasta dish. I got the recipe from Rachel Ray when I was obsessed with watching her 30 minute meal show. Now she bugs, so I don't' watch her anymore. I also made strawberry shortcake for dessert since that is Jake's favorite. This is the one good thing about helping mom make a cake...licking the beaters!


Here is the recipe, I strongly suggest you try it! :)

Garlic Bread Chunks

(Note- I always half the recipe since I only have a small food processor, but it's a perfect amount for my family of four. If cooking for a crowd make the whole thing)

4 cups spinach leaves
4 cloves garlic, cracked from skins
1 stick softened butter
Salt and Pepper
1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1 Loaf French Bread

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the spinach in a food processor with garlic, butter, salt and pepper and cheese and process, scraping the mixture down if necessary. (This takes some time for everything to mix together. I always keep stopping and pushing down the spinach.)
Halve bread lengthwise and slather it with spinach butter. Cut into large cubes. Bake to crisp, 6-7 min. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Sally said...

1. We also went to the California Science Center this weekend--we went today.

2. I also think Rachel Ray has decent recipes but she BUGS ME and I cannot watch her on TV. Just can't.

What else are we going to find in common? And--can Joshua and Maggie be any cuter? Joshua was so great in class on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the science center. I also used to be obsessed with Rachael Ray but I seriously can't stand her...especailly when she laughs at her own jokes. So annoying. Unfortunately, that's what they call me at work. I guess Rachel Riley easily becomes...Rachael Ray.

Sarah said...

What a great weekend. Looks like your kids loved both the party and museum.

I will definately try the bread. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Brad and Jenn said...

I'm putting that bread recipe in my "have to try" pile! It sounds amesome.